Pammel Park is located 4 miles southwest of Winterset. Modern camping facilities are located on the Backbone.
Directions: From Winterset travel west on State Highway 92 for 1 mile, turn south on County Highway P68 for 3 miles. This main entrance requires that you travel through a tunnel with a 12′ 6″ clearance and a fairly tight turn on the east end of the tunnel. If your camper is too tall for this clearance, see Alternate Directions to Avoid Tunnel.
Alternate Directions To Avoid Tunnel: From Winterset travel south on U.S. Highway 169 for 1.75 miles, turn west on Carver Trail for 2.5 miles, turn north on Pammel Park Trail for .5 miles to enter the South gates of Pammel Park.
Weather permitting, campgrounds and cabins will be open yearly by the first weekend in April and remain open through the last weekend in October.
- Modern Sites (30/50 amp electric, water, table, and grill at each site)
- Self-registration: $20/night/site
- Online registration: $22/site/night and $2 website transaction fee
- Tent Sites
- Self-registration: $12/night/site
- Online reservation: $14/night/site and $2 website transaction fee
- RESERVATIONS ARE ACCEPTED FOR PAMMEL PARK ONLY.
- All fees must be paid at the time of placing reservation.
- ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FINAL. REFUNDS ARE NOT PROVIDED FOR CANCELLATIONS OR EARLY DEPARTURES.
- To make a reservation, set up an account on mycountyparks.com. After creating an account, go to the My County Parks home page, click on “Counties” and choose “Madison”. Then click on the Facilities tab to view a list of reservable campsites and cabins.
- For questions about the online reservation system, contact the Madison County Conservation Board office at 515-462-3536.
- Minimum 2 nights
- Minimum required dates for Holiday weekends in 2019:
- Memorial Day: May 25, 26, 27 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- 4th of July: July 4, 5, 6 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
- Labor Day: August 30, 31, September 1 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Covered Bridge Festival: October 10, 11, 12 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
- Reservations must be made 2 days in advance.
- VISA, MASTERCARD & DISCOVER accepted
- 36 Rock-Surfaced Sites
- 50-30-20 amp electrical service/site
- Water hookups at each site
- Tent only sites (five, elevated) as posted
- Modern bathrooms & showers
- Play equipment
- Dump station
Camping Rules & Regulations at Pammel Park
- A self-registration system is utilized at Pammel Park. Register and pay immediately upon occupying site.
- Permanent* camping unit must be on site and fees paid to hold site.
- Camping fees are determined by camp site location. Whether or not utility services are used, or the type of camping unit.
- Camper units must use the designated gravel/concrete pads on sites 1 thru 36.
- One camping unit and one vehicle per site (maximum 6 people per/site).
- No head-in parking unless tow vehicle remains attached to the camping unit.
- Extra vehicles must be parked in designated overflow parking areas or visitors parking areas.
- No parking on roadways, grass areas between sites or unused camping pads.
- All fires restricted to ground grills.
- No cutting or breaking off of standing live or dead trees/limbs for use as firewood.
- No refunds made for early departures.
- Quite hours are from 10:00pm to 7:00am – visitors must leave campground by 9:30pm
- Check-out time is 12:00pm (noon).
- All visitors must park in the backbone shelter parking lot. Vehicle access to campground is restricted to paid campers only.
- Keg beer is not allowed in Madison County parks.
- Juveniles (17 or younger) must be camping with a parent or legal guardian.
- Tampering or attempting repairs to utility services is prohibited.
- Emergency phone number: 515-462-3575 (Madison County Sheriff’s Office).