Pammel Park is located 4 miles southwest of Winterset. Modern camping facilities are located on the Backbone.
Directions: From Winterset travel west on State Highway 92 for 1 mile, turn south on County Highway P68 for 3 miles. This main entrance requires that you travel through a tunnel with a 12′ 6″ clearance and a fairly tight turn on the east end of the tunnel. If your camper is too tall for this clearance, see Alternate Directions to Avoid Tunnel.
Alternate Directions To Avoid Tunnel: From Winterset travel south on U.S. Highway 169 for 1.75 miles, turn west on Carver Trail for 2.5 miles, turn north on Pammel Park Trail for .5 miles to enter the South gates of Pammel Park.
Weather permitting, campgrounds and cabins should be open by the first of April 2017. Camprounds will remain open through October 30.
$18/night/pad = 30/50 Amp electric, water, table & grill at each site.
$10.00/night/tent = Tent camp areas as posted.
- RESERVATIONS ARE ACCEPTED FOR PAMMEL PARK ONLY.
- All fees must be paid at the time of placing reservation.
- ALL RESERVATIONS ARE FINAL. REFUNDS ARE NOT PROVIDED FOR CANCELLATIONS OR EARLY DEPARTURES.
- Call 515.462.3536 to reserve.
- Reservation fee: $5.00/Site.
- Minimum 2 nights
- Minimum required dates for Holiday weekends in 2017:
- Memorial Day: May 26, 27, 28 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- 4th of July: June 30, July 1, 2, 3 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday)
- Labor Day: September 1, 2, 3 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
- Bridge Festival: October 12, 13, 14 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday)
- Prefer 7 day notice
- VISA, MASTERCARD & DISCOVER accepted
- 36 Rock-Surfaced Sites
- 50-30-20 amp electrical service/site
- Water hookups at each site
- Tent only sites (five, elevated) as posted
- Modern bathrooms & showers
- Play equipment
- Dump station
Camping Rules & Regulations at Pammel Park
- A self-registration system is utilized at Pammel Park. Register and pay immediately upon occupying site.
- Permanent* camping unit must be on site and fees paid to hold site.
- Camping fees are determined by camp site location. Whether or not utility services are used, or the type of camping unit, the nightly fee for sites 1 thru 36 is $17.
- Nightly fee for tents in the tent site areas (T1 thru T5) is $10/tent. Only 1 tent per/site.
- Camper units must use the designated gravel/concrete pads on sites 1 thru 36.
- One camping unit and one vehicle per site (maximum 6 people per/site).
- No head-in parking unless tow vehicle remains attached to the camping unit.
- Extra vehicles must be parked in designated overflow parking areas or visitors parking areas.
- No parking on roadways, grass areas between sites or unused camping pads.
- All fires restricted to ground grills.
- No cutting or breaking off of standing live or dead trees/limbs for use as firewood.
- No refunds made for early departures.
- Quite hours are from 10:00pm to 7:00am – visitors must leave campground by 9:30pm
- Check-out time is 12:00pm (noon).
- All visitors must park in the backbone shelter parking lot. Vehicle access to campground is restricted to paid campers only.
- Keg beer is not allowed in Madison County parks.
- Juveniles (17 or younger) must be camping with a parent or legal guardian.
- Tampering or attempting repairs to utility services is prohibited.
- Emergency phone number: 515-462-3575 (Madison County Sheriff’s Office).